Most small to medium business owners and managers created a training plan as part of their business and career but do nothing!
But with the day-to-day of running the electrical business and managing projects, a year or even many years can go by before you refer back to that training plan—if at all.
Well, a lot can happen in the business during those years: priorities may have shifted, you may have added new products, key staff may have been added or moved on.
Suddenly, you realize that as an organization, your course has changed, but your long-range plans aren’t updated to reflect the new direction you’re taking.
Business strategy means having a long-range training plan and milestones along the way that ensure you get there.
“…training planning should be something you do each and every year.”
The importance of strategic training planning
Turning your vision into reality requires a healthy, realistic approach and a well-crafted training path toward success. You need to think realistically about where your business is going and be flexible about your expectations.
Setting concrete performance measures is a great idea, but you need to support them with a realistic training plan to achieve them.
STEP ONE: Identify the purpose of your electrical business and career training.
Have you ever asked, simply and honestly, “What is the purpose of my electrical business and career training?” Every business needs a vision to guide and influence strategies and decisions. After all, if you don’t know where you’re going, you’ll never get there.
In addition, to build cohesion and foster growth, everyone in your company has to share the vision.
That’s why it’s so important to clarify your vision—understanding the “why” of your business—before building a training strategy.
“…if you don’t know where you’re going, you’ll never get there.”
STEP TWO: Analyze results for continuous improvement through training
Strength, Weakness, Opportunity and Threat (SWOT)
Identifying a list of SWOTs is a common brainstorming technique used in organizational planning.
Developing a list alone, however, rarely provides the useful information required to guide a needs assessment. Instead, you should combine the benefits of brainstorming with an approach that defines the relationships among the identified SWOT factors, and then you should use those relationships to guide decisions about what to do next.
This is where the Plus (+) comes into play.
Strength, Weakness, Opportunity, Threat and Plus (SWOT+)
The purpose of conducting a SWOT+ is to identify, organize, and prioritize the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats and plus (or SWOTs+) that influence the planning, design, development, implementation, and evaluation of almost any program or project.
Begin your SWOT+ analysis by asking participants to simply brainstorm ideas to fit into the following five categories:
- Strength: An internal competence, valuable resource, or attribute that an organization can use to exploit opportunities in the external environment
- Weakness: An internal lack of a competence, resource, or attribute that an organization requires to perform in the external environment
- Opportunity: An external possibility that an organization can pursue or exploit to gain benefit
- Threat: An external factor that has the potential to reduce an organization’s performance
- Plus: The “plus” concept refer to the inclusive, collaborative approach to training by building a bridge between your objectives and game changing goals and priorities.
Give input through a series of exercises we call SWOT+.
Why do we call it SWOT+?
“SWOT+ is an exercise in focus and alignment, a bridge between your objectives and game changing goals and priorities you’ll identify in your next training step.”
The focus here is to articulate the core issues; don’t attempt deep problem solving at this point.
STEP 3: Understand how strategy guides training planning.
The foundation of a great training strategy is leverage: use your organization’s strengths to gain an outsized return.
With training in mind, what resources and capabilities can you leverage for maximum gain?
Involve your team in a SWOT+ exercise starting with the high fives:
- five core strengths of your company
- five game changing goals for your business and career
- five key strengths you need to utilize to achieve your game changing goals
- five key strengths you need to develop in order to achieve your game changing goals
- five priorities you will focus on this year that will move you closer to your game changing goals
- five TOPs/quarterly priorities that support your annual priorities
- five SMART objectives that will help you achieve your quarterly game changing goals.
SMART: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-Bound
Going through this SWOT+ exercise you will find Gaps between your objectives and your game changing goals and priorities you’ll identify for your next training step.
STEP FOUR: Establish your Game Changing Electrical Gap Training Plan with “measured flow” training meetings for success.
Strategic training planning isn’t a one-time event. Once you’ve identified a strategy, it’s crucial to stay focused.
One of the best ways to do that is with a steady measured flow of productive training meetings.
Create a meeting schedule that meets your objectives achieving your game changing goals.
For each, identify the key players who will need to be involved, the time necessary to complete your objectives, and any other essential items
Involving your team in the strategic planning process increases their personal investment. This is powerful, because it drives organizational alignment and a higher probability of success.
STEP FIVE: Implement your Game Changing Electrical Gap Training Plan
Your Game Changing Electrical Gap Training Plan may include:
- Practical Beginner Electrical Estimating Training
- Practical Advanced Electrical Estimating Training
- ESTILEC – YOUR FAST-TRACK TO WINNING JOBS BLUEPRINT
- Company & Safety Induction
- Electrical Safety Act & Regulations
- Risk Assessment & Safe Work Method Statements SWMS
- Electrical Testing
- AS3000 & AS3008
- Electrical Project Management Training for Beginners
- Practical Gap Training Safety & Technical
Strategic training planning is the link between a great idea and business success.
In small and medium electrical business, a strategic game changing plan can help you do more than just survive.
You can thrive—and win.
START IMPLEMENTING YOUR GAME CHANGING ELECTRICAL ESTIMATING TRAINING PLAN:
“How to Estimate from Small Jobs to Multimillion Dollar Electrical Projects Without a Budget Blow-Out OR Excessive Overtime!”
ELECTRICAL ESTIMATING TRAINING GAME CHANGING OUTCOMES…
- Improved accuracy of all electrical estimates so you charge the RIGHT price every time
- Thorough understanding of labour units so you know the true cost of every project
- Ability to read electrical plans and complete electrical take-offs with precision
- Accurate documentation thanks to the software, templates and industry tools
- You’ll save up to 70% of the time it used to take you to complete an electrical estimate
- Completing this training gives you the practical skills, knowledge and tools equivalent to UEENEEC005B Estimate Electrotechnology Projects
YOU’LL LOVE THE…
- Industry best practice software that includes calculation tools, calculation pages with a summary page, formulas, and processes to get every job done
- Your progress measured at every step + feedback on assignments and quote comparisons on your practical tender submissions
- Fast Start Guide + everything you need to confidently complete the whole process from take-off measurements, to labour costs to the final tender document
- Copy and paste proven templates for quotation letters and tender documents
- Certificate of completion
Click the links below for More Information on Electrical Estimating and Practical Gap Training Contact Us with your expression of interest.
For Online Electrical Estimating Training:
BEGINNER ELECTRICAL ESTIMATING TRAINING
For face-to-face Electrical Estimating and Tendering Training:
ELECTROGROUP By the Industry, For the Industry
When only the best, most comprehensive training will do with over 30 years of experience and millions of dollars’ worth of projects make up this training.
You know it’s been tested, you know it’s been proven, and you know it’s being used now by estimators around the country.
Short-cut the learning and watch your income skyrocket!
REMEMBER WE CAN ALSO PROVIDE CONSULTATION IN STRATEGIZING YOUR OVERALL GAME CHANGING ELECTRICAL GAP TRAINING PLAN AND IMPLEMENTATION – JUST CONTACT US WITH YOUR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST.
THE ELECTRICAL ESTIMATOR – CONTACT US